6.02.2009

Midnight at the Movies - Justin Townes Earle


Hate country music? Yeah me too. But don’t write the genre off just yet. The past month I have been habitually listening to this jewel of an album from Justin Townes Earle, son of the notorious musician and political activist Steve Townes Earle. Justin shuns the Happy Meal daddy time, rhinestone cowboy dress up, CMT bullshit that has polluted the country genre that Johnny Cash refined. Townes packs his songs with folk twang rhythms and honest-to-God lyrics that seem priceless in the 21st century. After hearing “Someday I’ll Be Forgiven for This” (and giving myself a few minutes to bawl) for the first time, I bought the CD. Townes Earle’s lyrics pack an emotional punch that will choke you up. There isn’t much I can do to sell this album to you other than ensure you that this is real, legit, grown man country music. Check out the title track, “Midnight at the Movies” as well as “Mama’s Eyes” if you don’t believe me.`

Review Score: 9 out of 10





1 comment:

  1. The "Townes" in his name comes from Townes Van Zandt, who played with (among others) Steve Earle and David Allen Coe, and just generally kicked a lot of ass before dying in 1997.

    ReplyDelete